The Science Fiction Poetry Association’s annual Halloween Poetry Reading available for viewing/listening. Every year various members of the SFPA record their Halloween/Spooky poems and submit holiday pictures for the page.
This year, I have recorded the poem, pretty much unchanged, that I posted recently on this blog. You’ll also find some of my photo-art pieces there.
I hope that you’ll stop by the page to look at the art work and listen to some of the MP3 recordings of Halloween poetry. We’ve got a nice lot of poems and pictures again this year. (There are links to previous Halloween Poetry Readings starting with 2006.)
Went out with the dog at daybreak to find a murder of crows in the tall, bare branches of the cottonwood, calling “We’re meeting HERE!…Caw Caw Caw Caw!” to the extended neighborhood. Invigorating!
I think that they woke me up. I usually go to sleep with a Nature audio running on the desktop computer, but did not, last night. (Went to sleep rather abruptly.)
There have been developments since the beginning of the week.
- I find myself, after shedding the position last fall when Bryce (youngest sister) fell ill and died, in the position of editing (but, hurrah! co-editor with a marvelous conspirator, Shannon Connor Winward) the Science Fiction Poetry Association’s annual online Halloween Poetry Reading page. (Deadline for submissions is October 26.)
- I am currently listening to audio tapes, editing bios/blurbs as needed, reviewing Halloween-type graphics submissions, etc.
- Al developed a horrendous toothache that spread out to several teeth, and so I phoned the dentist, Wednesday late afternoon …
- and when Al got a time slot for Thursday, I postponed my haircut to next week. That would be length after previous cut = 3/8″, 7 weeks growth = 7/8″. one and one-quarter inches by the time I’m in the stylist’s chair again. I’m already losing the tops of my ears in the fringies!
- I’m still on the mend from dust exposures earlier in the week, and so Al had to go alone to a pre-funeral visitation. These are getting to be too close together.
And so the only poetry I foresee writing for the next week or so would be my own Online Halloween Reading submission for the page. (The publication is not juried, but instead is a “contribution” to Halloween fun from SFPA members to all poets and the general public. Editors also get to take part.)
I am feeling rather isolated at the moment, aside from the mostly goal-oriented correspondence related to the Halloween Reading page, but because I am not pushing myself to do any more, I am relaxed and sleeping soundly at night.
Eliminating stress—saying “No” and moving on—does wonders for the blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, and quality of sleep. Flexibility without remorse!
I have finished my first cup of coffee. Off to make some fresh, now, start the next pot of Toddy coffee concentrate to cold-brew, and find some breakfast. Scrambled eggs and left-over spinach, I believe.
Wishing you-all a marvelous day!